Monday, March 5, 2012

The Wizard of Oz!

So recently Julianna, Kaiden, Evelyn, & Keith all decided they would like to try out for a children's production of the Wizard of Oz here in Georgetown. The day of the auditions came we walked in and Keith decided he did not want to try out anymore, we filled out the paper work on the other three they got their pictures taken and were waiting to do their reading when Kaiden and Evelyn both decided that they didn't want to try out either. Long story short Julianna was the only one to go through with the audition! She got a part as a munchkin and she is very excited for the rehearsals and performance, this is a large production so she will have rehearsals for 2 1/2 months before the production date in May.

This experience has got me thinking about my children and my perceptions of them. If you would have asked me who would have the easiest time at the auditions I would have guesses Kaiden, he is a ham and always likes to be performing for people. I would also never have guessed the Evelyn would become to shy to share her talent for drama with others. It makes me realize that we each have hidden depths that are not obvious to others, not even those who know us the best. These hidden strengths and talents are fun to discover in my children and it just goes to show that each of us has unmeasured potential. I believe that our Heavenly Father is the only one who truly knows what we are capable of and that is why it is so important that we don't judge each other. I think to often our perceptions of others are skewed by a single incident or conversation and we don't allow for personal growth. If we constantly try to fit people into the boxes that we perceive they should fit into then we will miss out on all the wonderful things they could have offered! I would never have suggested that Julianna audition for a play, of all my children she seems the least like me. However after I sat and talked with her about her feelings and experiences with performance she is EXACTLY like me! Her description of her feelings right before she steps on stage and what it feels like during the performance are exactly what I used to feel when I would perform! I am excited for her and all the fun she will be having with this show, I am also grateful for the lesson that I feel I have learned about my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment