Monday, March 5, 2012

Tornados!

Friday school let out early due to impending severe weather and expected tornados in our area. I got the children off the bus and we began to make preparations in our cellar so that if we needed to go down there it wouldn't be to awful. I had the kids gather a change of clothing including socks and shoes and an extra warm jacket, we also gathered blankets, candles, flashlight, first aide supplies, board games, and food. Once we got everything packed into the totes we waited. Lexmark asked everyone to please go home so I went and picked up Kevin, then he vacuumed  the cobwebs out of the cellar so that we wouldn't have to deal with that. I made taco soup and the kids watched a movie, the sun was shining and the sky was a little cloudy but nothing looked to scary. Still the news said the storm was coming and that we should be prepared, so prepared we got!

I feel very blessed that the storm decided to pass by us but not touch us, and even though we were prepared we did not need to use any of our supplies! Kevin had teased me about some of the supplies that I had included in my tubs (toilet paper) but after reading of the destruction all around us he decided it was wise, since there was always a chance you could be trapped if something landed on the cellar door and we couldn't get out. I am grateful for the experience of being able to work with my family to get ready for this storm and every time we prepare for one we are a little more prepared for the next one. I am glad that we have never had cause to use our emergency supplies! And even though I did  feel a little foolish putting all these things in tubs "just in case" I am glad that I did, sometimes those bad things pass us by simply because we are prepared, and other times we are going to desperately need that preparation. So the lesson that I learned form this little experience is that I would rather feel foolish and be prepared or over prepared than be foolish and found lacking the necessities at the crucial moment!

1 comment:

  1. so glad they passed by you guys, too! Are you leaving your emergency supplies in your totes now?

    ReplyDelete